Sunday 12 February 2012

I'm not a eeky monkey....


The last few weeks Cohen has made me smile on many occasions as he has piped up with lines like 'I'm not a eeky monkey mummy, I'm Cohen'.... or 'I'm not cute mummy, I'm Cohen'. Why has this made me smile? Mosty because the look on his face is one that's so adamant that I've got it wrong when I've called him a cheeky monkey - like I've forgotten his name! Although its made me smile so many times and we've joked as a family at his insistency its made me think too - how often do we introduce ourselves with just our name? Or how often do you add something else?.... How often are we just comfortable to stand in our own shoes and say 'hi, I'm me'.....

Society has taught us its about what we can make of ourselves and in turn we've changed our thinking. We regularly introduce ourselves with labels (because if we don't we feel awkward) and so often we are guilty of requesting more than just 'me' from people we meet by also immediately asking questions about what someone does for work? what's their marital status? We're not comfortable with the person as they are..... standing in their own two shoes! I guess Cohen in his own little way has made me take a double think about being comfortable with who I am - who I am to be - not always what I am doing or what others say I am or am not..... Refusing to believe little lies about myself that are so easy to take on board, taking on stuff that I don't need to because its not helpful - but standing in the truth of who I am and being who I'm suppose to be.... I guess I just hope some of my little boys adamancy rubs off (;

No comments:

Post a Comment